- Melanomas may develop as a new "mole" or may cause an existing mole to change in size, shape or colour.
Important signs to look for are the "ABCD"s of Melanoma:
- Borders that are irregular
- Changing spots or unusual Colours
- Different to the other spots on the skin
Most Melanomas are dark in colour, but some may appear as a firm growing pinkish or pale lump. It is important to be aware of the "EFG" signs for these less common melanomas:
- Elevated (raised from the skin)
- Firm to feel
- Growing rapidly
Although these types of Melanoma are rare, they are often more aggressive and can lead to a higher risk of death if not detected early.