There are a number of risk factors causing the high rates of skin cancers in Australia.
- Fair skin type that does not tan easily, often in combination with freckles, green eyes, red or blonde hair.
- Having a large number of moles
- Having a past history of skin cancers
- Family history of skin cancers especially melanomas
- Medical conditions eg organ transplant patients on immunosuppressant medications
Sun or UV exposure
- Excessive sun exposure, in particular sunburns during childhood
- Outdoor activities / sports / work
- Use of tanning beds /solariums
- Arc welding